Swan is a low-cost, embeddable STM32L4-based microcontroller designed to accelerate the development and deployment of battery-powered IoT solutions. It is especially useful for applications requiring large memory or a high degree of I/O expandability at an affordable cost, such as edge inferencing and remote monitoring.
Uniquely for Feather-compatible boards, we designed Swan to satisfy developers’ needs spanning from early prototyping to high-volume deployment. Developers can use Swan in conjunction with Adafruit’s myriad sensors and FeatherWing-compatible carriers. Due to its novel design, for high-volume deployment the low-cost Swan can also be soldered directly to a parent PCB integrating those sensors, utilizing the full range of Swan’s I/O capabilities.
The board has three independent power options – USB, battery, or line power – and provides a software-switchable 2 Amp regulator for powering external sensors. When operating in its low-power operating mode, the entire Swan board draws only 8uA while retaining all of its memory, making it ideal for battery-powered devices.
Swan features support for C/C++, Arduino, and CircuitPython, and includes a CORTEX Debug connector, enabling the use of advanced development environments such as Visual Studio Code, IAR, and STM32CubeIDE. Be sure to add an STLNK-V3MINI to get that step-debugging goodness!
Swan is available as a standalone board, in a Feather Starter Kit that includes a Notecard and Notecarrier, or as an embeddable board in manufacturing-ready trays when paired with the Notecard (visit us at blues.io to learn more).
- Ultra low-power Arm Cortex-M4 core clocked at 120Mhz
- STM32L4R5-based microcontroller
- 2MB of flash and 640KB of RAM
- Castellated-edge access to 55 GPIO ports including:
- 8 analog
- 16 digital
- 4x I2C, 3x SPI
- USB OTG full speed
- 1x 14-channel DMA
- 12-bit ADC, 2 x 12-bit DAC
- low-power RTC, and CRC calculation peripherals
- Swan MCU
- Swan Carrier base PCB providing access to 36 additional pins on the core STM32L4R5
- 12 pin and 16 pin male headers
Program and debug your Swan apps in VSCode, IAR, and STM32CubeIDE!
The STLINK-V3MINI is a stand-alone debugging and programming mini probe for STM32 microcontrollers, like the Swan! Use the JTAG/SWD interfaces to connect to the Swan via its onboard connector for simple programming or debugging.
The STLINK-V3MINI also provides a Virtual COM port interface allowing the host PC to communicate with the target microcontroller through one UART.
The STLINK-V3MINI is a portable version, easy-to-use debugger/programmer that includes an STDC14 cable interface in the package.
We designed the Swan MCU to be the ideal companion to the Notecard and added it to our popular Feather Starter Kit!
The Notecard is a device-to-cloud data pump that reduces the complexity of building connected solutions with secure, reliable cellular. As an embeddable system on module (SoM), you can use the Notecard with any microcontroller for both greenfield and retrofit projects using your own design, or one of our custom-designed Notecarriers.
With just two lines of code you can send data to the cloud in minutes--no complex device registration or provisioning required. With a powerful JSON-based API, you can program the Notecard over USB, or control it from your preferred microcontroller or single-board computer using one of our open-source firmware libraries. Connect from your preferred host to the Notecard using Serial or I2C.
We designed the Notecard to work with a cloud service for ingesting and processing device data. Notehub.io provides secure device connectivity, project and fleet management, and simple routing to 3rd-party cloud services. Alternatively, host your own device service based on our open source reference implementation.
- Integrated Quectel cellular modem.
- Secure element with a factory-installed ECC P-384 certificate provisioned at chip manufacture.
- Integrated GPS and Accelerometer.
- Designed to operate on battery power, be "always-on" to maintain time & location, while typically drawing less than 8µA, when idle.
- Bundled with 10 years and 500MB of cellular data. No cellular subscriptions, SIM fees, or monthly minimums apply.
- PTCRB Certified Module.
Notecarriers are companion development boards designed to make it easy to prototype and deploy IoT solutions with the Notecard.
Notecarriers come in many shapes and sizes to accommodate different needs of developers, and can be used with any Notecard type. Any Notecarrier with an A prefix in its naming has cellular and GPS antennas embedded on the board.
The Notecarrier-AF (CARR-AF) is a companion development board designed for quick prototyping with Adafruit Feather-based microcontrollers. It can be used with any Feather-compatible device and includes embedded cellular and GPS antennas, as well as Grove and Qwiic ports for connecting I2C peripherals.
- Adafruit Feather compatible header socket.
- Breadboard compatible Notecard 13-pin header.
- Breadboard compatible 24-pin Adafruit Feather breakout header.
- Notecard edge connector socket and mounting screw receptacle.
- Micro-USB port to power Notecarrier and provide a USB Serial command interface to Notecard.
- Onboard cellular and active GPS antennas.
- External Nano-SIM slot for additional carrier connectivity.
- 2 Seeed Studio Grove I2C ports for attaching external peripherals to your project.
- JST PH connector for a LiPo battery.
- JST PH connector for a solar panel.
- JST SH 3.3V I2C port (Adafruit STEMMA QT and Sparkfun QWiic compatible).
- Battery slide switch to disconnect battery when not in use.
- Momentary button connected to Feather B0 pin.
- Notecard SoM (on-board SIM, no external SIM required).
- Notecarrier-AF with onboard Cellular and GPS antennas.
- 2 U.FL connector cables for connecting Cellular and GPS.
- Swan Development Board in the Feather form-factor.