Swan is a low-cost, embeddable STM32L4-based microcontroller designed to accelerate the development and deployment of battery-powered IoT solutions. It is especially useful for applications requiring large memory or a high degree of I/O expandability at an affordable cost, such as edge inferencing and remote monitoring.
Uniquely for Feather-compatible boards, we designed Swan to satisfy developers’ needs spanning from early prototyping to high-volume deployment. Developers can use Swan in conjunction with Adafruit’s myriad sensors and FeatherWing-compatible carriers. Due to its novel design, for high-volume deployment the low-cost Swan can also be soldered directly to a parent PCB integrating those sensors, utilizing the full range of Swan’s I/O capabilities.
The board has three independent power options – USB, battery, or line power – and provides a software-switchable 2 Amp regulator for powering external sensors. When operating in its low-power operating mode, the entire Swan board draws only 8uA while retaining all of its memory, making it ideal for battery-powered devices.
Swan features support for C/C++, Arduino, and CircuitPython, and includes a CORTEX Debug connector, enabling the use of advanced development environments such as Visual Studio Code, IAR, and STM32CubeIDE. Be sure to add an STLNK-V3MINI to get that step-debugging goodness!
Swan is available as a standalone board, in a Feather Starter Kit that includes a Notecard and Notecarrier, or as an embeddable board in manufacturing-ready trays when paired with the Notecard (visit us at blues.io to learn more).
- Ultra low-power Arm Cortex-M4 core clocked at 120Mhz
- STM32L4R5-based microcontroller
- 2MB of flash and 640KB of RAM
- Castellated-edge access to 55 GPIO ports including:
- 8 analog
- 16 digital
- 4x I2C, 3x SPI
- USB OTG full speed
- 1x 14-channel DMA
- 12-bit ADC, 2 x 12-bit DAC
- low-power RTC, and CRC calculation peripherals
- Swan MCU
- Swan Carrier base PCB providing access to 36 additional pins on the core STM32L4R5
- 12 pin and 16 pin male headers, either loose or pre-soldered based on selection. (P/N 4UCON00815 and4 UCON00820)